Thanks to the favourable economic environment created by the Austro-Hungarian Compromise of 1867, vigorous efforts to modernize the infrastructure and townscape of Budapest started to take shape as early as 1868. Gyula Andrássy then prime minister had established an "Embellishment Committee" in order to develop and truly unify Buda-Óbuda and Pest. This Committee, which became known as the Budapest Public Works Council launched major construction projects all over the city as a part of which also formed administrative and industrial districts within Budapest.
Headquarters of the Public Works Council, Döbrentei Square, 1931. (Image source: Ervin Szabó Metropolitan Library)Published on - 2020-04-14 12:17:00